CITY OF RENO POET LAUREATE FY2014-2016 / NOMINATION GUIDELINES
The City of Reno is now seeking candidates to serve as the honorary City of Reno Poet Laureate, the mission of which is to promote poetry as both an art form and a means of inspirational public commentary.
The position of City of Reno Poet Laureate was established in 2014 by the Reno City Council.
REQUIREMENTS OF NOMINEES
To be considered, a poet must be a Reno resident and be available to present public activities throughout the year. A poet may be self or other nominated.
The selection process will be facilitated by the Reno Arts and Culture Commission (RACC). The selection committee will be comprised of two published Nevada writers, one present or former poet laureate, if available, and a representative of the RACC, facilitated by the Resource Development and Cultural Affairs Manager. The committee will use the criteria of distinguished achievements, quality of work, and ability to advance poetry in the public domain. Up to three finalists will be submitted to the RACC for consideration. The Reno City Council will make the final selection.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION
The Poet Laureate will meet with the Chair and Vice Chair of the RACC to outline his or her preference of activities during the two-year term. As the mission of the position is to present and advance poetry in the public domain, the Poet Laureate must be able and willing to participate in various public gatherings and educational settings throughout his or her term. The poet laureate will work directly with the Cultural Affairs Division of the Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department.
LENGTH OF TERM
The term of City of Reno Poet Laureate is two years. Funding from the Reno Arts and Culture Commission will provide a $1,000 honorarium, per year, to support a minimum of four (4) engagements each year by the Poet Laureate on behalf of the City.
TO MAKE A NOMINATION
Please submit two sets of the Nomination Packet, which includes all the following items. We cannot accept facsimile or e-mail submissions. Do not staple or bind. Please make one copy for yourself.
- Nomination Form (to be used as the cover letter) Publications Credits Form
- Anthologies — include title, publisher, editor, date of publication and poem titles Chapbooks/Books — include title, publisher and date of publication
- Journals/Magazines — include title, volume and number, date of publication and poem titles (NOTE: Do not include: prose writing, vanity press publication or any self-published work, non-print (on-line) publication, and works appearing in publications for which you served as editor. We are seeking quality, not quantity of writing.)
- List of accomplishments and contributions to poetry at large (2 page maximum) (This could include related professional or volunteer work, awards and honors)
- 2-3 letters of recommendation
- One Page Artist Statement/Vision of the Role of Reno Poet Laureate and how the nominee would fulfill this role.
- NOTE: Finalists may be asked for samples or copies of their published work.
Please submit a completed Nomination Packet, using this Nomination Form as the cover letter, by 5:00 pm, Monday, September 29, 2014, to the address below. Please note that this IS NOT a postmark deadline. No additions or corrections will be accepted after the deadline. Materials will not be returned.
FOR NOMINATION FORM & ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Please contact Nathan Clark, at 775-334-6264 or email@example.com