The Holland Project Gallery seeks to create the go-to art space in Reno to see young, contemporary artists and their influences both regionally and nationally.
The mission of The Holland Project Gallery is to:
-Facilitate exhibitions and events showcasing young, emerging and professional artists
-Provide real world experience in gallery practices for young and emerging artists
-Present curated and aesthetically considered exhibitions
-Develop art opportunities for youth in the region
-Create community collaborations through art
-Offer tools and workshops for creative experimentation and development
The Arts and Gallery Director is responsible for management of the Holland Project Gallery and Micro-Gallery. As the gallery continues to solidify its positions in the Reno arts community, the Director will help shape its growth incorporating local and out-of-town artists; educational opportunities and interactive elements; and broadening the diversity and quality of work shown in the spaces.
• Curating exhibitions through proposals, studio visits and the Gallery Committee
• Coordinating exhibition design and preparation including the window display
• Supervising the Gallery Intern and Gallery Committee
• Managing gallery events including lectures, receptions and workshops
• Managing the Gallery Intern program and Micro-Gallery schedule
• Marketing and promotions for exhibitions
• Maintaining the arts presence on Holland’s social media
• Maintaining the arts aspects of the Holland website
• Facilitating the Gallery Committee and monthly meetings
• Cultivating teacher and community outreach
• Programming annual exhibits including, but not limited to: Young Blood, Scholastic Art Awards and The Stranger Show
• Coordinating additional art programming and collaborations
• Knowledge of the local arts community
• Excellent communication skills: written and oral
• Creative problem solver
• Experience installing/de-installing exhibitions
• Highly organized and detail orientated
• Comfortable working independently and collaboratively
• Strong aesthetic sense: spatial and design
• Strong written and verbal communicator
• Maintains a level of professionalism and approachability
The ideal candidate will be comfortable in a leadership role, initiating new programming and revamping projects based on community input and new concepts. They will also be capable of conceiving fundraising ideas and aiding in the budget building for the gallery.
They will also meet any or all of the following criteria:
• Graphic design experience or a working knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suites
• Experience writing press releases or other public relations documents
• Knowledge of contemporary art and craft culture trends
• Comfortable doing manual work in the gallery including: patching, painting, operating drills/sanders, etc.
The Arts and Gallery Director is a part-time salaried position. Weekly office hours are during gallery hours, Tues.-Fri. 3-6PM. In addition to office hours, the director is expected to attend monthly Gallery Committee Meetings, exhibition openings and monthly Board Meetings. Attendance to other Holland events is encouraged, but not required.
To apply, please submit a resume with a cover letter briefly explaining your interest in the position. Applications are due March 17 with training beginning in April 2014. Applications should be addressed to:
Britt Curtis, Executive Director
140 Vesta St. Reno, NV 89502